A netizen re-shared the classic story of Max’s Restaurant as her contribution to a popular Facebook group: Memories of Old Manila.
It featured the story of the early days of one of the most loved Filipino restaurants in the country. “Max’s Restaurant began operations in the Philippines in the year 1945, just after World War II. Maximo Gimenez, a Stanford – educated teacher befriended the American troops stationed at Quezon City, Manila. These soldiers would regularly visit Maximo’s nearby home for a drink or two. The troops then insisted that they pay for their drinks and this was what inspired Maximo to open a café, where the troops could enjoy food and drinks. The cafe initially served chicken, steak and drinks.”
“ Maximo’s niece, Ruby, who managed the kitchen, created a special recipe for chicken that became an instant favorite with the GIs. Soon, the word spread among Filipino residents near-by. They came looking for the delicious, tender, juicy and crispy fried chicken. Max’s Restaurant was born.
Over the years, Max’s Restaurant’s popularity grew and it became known as ‘The House That Fried Chicken Built. Max’s today operates over 170 restaurants across the Philippines, North America, Canada and the Middle East. Max’s menu comprises of classic Filipino dishes together with seasonal specials and of course, its famous, Max’s Fried Chicken.It has established itself as a household name, an institution, and a proud Filipino tradition.”